Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Day 4 - Zip Lining

By Taryn Taugher

When people think of zip lining they usually think of three-second, teeny-weeny, slow rides through trees. But when it comes to zip lining in Costa Rica, the game has changed. I was literally zipping through the jungle at maximum speeds like a turbo jet— flying through trees and bamboo in the rainforest (they have Spanish names which there is no way I am going to attempt to spell them).

Before heading out to the lines I was strapped in to a tight harness that fits around your lower half of your body, which almost fit like a diaper. I guess you can say that they are supposed to give you a sense of safety because they don't work at all (just kidding). The lines aren't three seconds either, they were like 10-30 seconds! Despite the fun--We spent more time trying to brake when the instructor tells you to. Braking required us to pull down the wire with a padded glove that they give you upon arrival.

(Small Confession) It was even more fun not to break (while flying in a max speed) and almost run into the tree at the end. When I got across the line, one of the best parts was watching Coach Karmen and my teammates trying to brake and literally knocking over the instructor at each spot.

As I flew through the thick trees the view was almost breathtaking. They say that if you look really hard, or get very lucky you might see a sloth or even a monkey. Given that I am an unlucky person I didn't get to see one. But forget the cool animals, the trees were beautiful and for miles all you see was green and various other bright colors of flowers scattered all along the rainforest.

For those scared of heights the gorgeous view is definitely a distraction because if you look down then you probably will have to change your pants at the end. I will never forget this zip lining trip. The view was incredible and the lines were fun and super fast! I will definitely miss hearing Coach Dawn yelling WOOHOO all the way down the line! One of the best features is that we got everything on the GoPro! I am so glad I am apart of the NKU team and get to experience this, it's Costa Rica baby! PURA VIDA!

No comments:

Post a Comment