Saturday, August 8, 2015

Day 2 - Second game

By Sarah Kinch

Today we got to play our second game at a local high school. The gym was inside a building that resembled a warehouse; the court was made of concrete and not very forgiving if you were uncoordinated like myself and fall down.

The walls were covered with art for the school with their mascot from different years; each was very different and very interesting. The building was open at the top, I suppose for airflow since we were basically outside. At one point we even had a bird flying through the gym, I’m just glad it didn’t poop on anyone!

The school was on break so the stands were filled with students cheering. It was cool to play in front of people, even though they were all cheering against us. Kasey said she felt like it was a gym from the 70’s and all we needed were some short shorts. The backboards were literally made out of wood, and I was waiting for Faith to get a splinter from tapping out on the board. The baskets had metal poles to support it from the ground that were covered in large yellow padding that at the top was in the court, so running baseline I had to be careful not to run into it and get clotheslined.


The team we played today was essentially the same girls we played yesterday, with a few additions. They were very aggressive, and, apparently in FIBA rules, there’s no such thing as hand checks, or fouls really in general. They were really aggressive, but oddly enough very friendly and kind. Towards the end of the game one of there players asked me to just stand still because she was tired to which we both laughed. They were all so personable and I was very impressed that they all spoke English so well for the most part, but still communicating has been its own kind of obstacle.

Playing against the Ticas’ was really enjoyable, to be able to see a different country play the same game we do, but play it so differently. Their rules were even different than ours, and I don’t know how I could get used to a lane that wide! We only have one more game left, and I know the team is hungry and ready for that third win. The energy on the floor and on the bench has me so excited to get back on our home court and play with the girls, but then again I’m in no rush to leave Costa Rica!

As they say down here, Pura Vida!

1 comment:

  1. Good job ladies keep up the good work and have fun for me to. P.S. luv ya sharrae nana.

    ReplyDelete